Personal Statement (no more than one page indicating why you are interested in participating in the program)

 Personal Statement (no more than one page indicating why you are interested in participating in the program)
My interests in the United States started when I became a member of the Saudi Educational Mission from the Year 1968 to 1973. After coming back to Saudi Arabia I joined the Saudi Arabian Airlines where I kept in dealing with America and the Americans.
One of the first exposures to the American political system was when I watched the inauguration ceremony of President Richard Nixon on January 20th 1969. Few years later I watched the hearings of the Watergate Scandal. I also lived some of the student protests against the Vietnam War. But at the same time I noticed the rehabilitation of the Vietnam veterans.
My exposure to the American civilization continued through working for Saudi Arabian Airlines for twelve years, and through continuous listening to NPR (National Public Radio) and my relations with the American Consulate in Jeddah and the US Embassy in Riyadh.
After some years of academic work in the field of 'Orientalism', I discovered that we in the Arab/Muslim World lack real understanding of the West and in particular the USA. So I began advocating the Study of the West (Both Europe and the USA). I published many articles in my weekly column in Al-Madinah Newspaper and different other papers and magazines in which I showed that I am a firm believer that in order to build strong relationships with the Europe and the USA we should immediately establish such studies. I was also a guest speaker in live shows of different satellite channels (i.e. Iqra, Al-Majad. Al-Ikhbaria).In these programs I strongly advocated the establishment of European and USA studies.
 I submitted a monograph to King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Study about establishing area studies departments and research centers at Saudi Universities. In this proposal I tried to explore this field by acquainting myself with USA studies in different countries from Japan (I visited for two weeks for this purpose), China, and Hong Kong). To further my knowledge of this field I had correspondence with University of London program for the study of USA and the Americas.
King Abdul-Aziz Public Library has published my book titled "My Trips to America". (2005). One of the main themes of this book is the vital importance of the Study of Europe and the USA.
I believe attending such program will give me a deeper understanding of the American civilization which I will make great use of as a basis for future courses and seminars or even research projects for future Saudi Students pursing their graduate work in the field of American Culture and Civilization

Therefore I believe that four weeks of seminars and lectures on American civilization can be a great assist in establishing such program in Saudi Arabia in the very near future. 

تعليقات

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

تلخيص كتاب منهج البحث التاريخي للدكتور د. حسن عثمان

الكلمات النورانية: وتحمل الكل

الإسلام وتعلم اللغات الأجنبية